But I have a bit of a bone to pick with smoothies: I can't see one more strawberry-banana smoothie combination! Considering there are countless options out there for mixing up a refreshing beverage, it's hard to see standard flavor pairings everywhere I go. Are you, like me, totally tired of the same boring smoothie flavors?
If so, then keep reading for some ways to jazz up your smoothie routine.
- Mix up the base. Go dairy-free and vegan by using coconut milk, pear juice, or green tea for a lighter, more refreshing smoothie that still promises a healthful payoff. Or, if you're looking for a departure from the standard milk or yogurt option, try sunflower seed milk, rice milk, or even buttermilk.
- Use seasonally sensitive fruit while you still can. While watermelon and figs are still available fresh, be sure to try running them through the blender, too. Even a single kiwi can change up your typical strawberry smoothie — or go tropical, with guava, papaya, and passionfruit.
- Spice things up. Your entire arsenal of dessert spices — cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, ground ginger, vanilla bean, even a dash of cayenne! — adds a new layer of flavor to your sweet start.
- Be a different kind of sweet. Sub out honey for less traditional sweeteners, such as pitted, dried dates, maple syrup, or even a couple tablespoons of rose-infused syrup.
- Don't be afraid to add texture. Changing up the consistency of your smoothie is a surefire way to keep the concept exciting! Add 1/4 cup rolled oats to a creamy smoothie for extra excitement, omit dairy altogether for a lighter beverage, or skip the crushed ice and pour your smoothie into a popsicle tray for the ultimate Summer snack.
What's your favorite unique smoothie combo?