If you're not a fan of coconut macaroons, whether it's because of the chewy texture, the unforgettable flavor, or the saturated fat content, this nontraditional macaroon recipe will be music to your cookie-loving ears. Check out this crunchy alternative — a macaroon made strictly with almonds. These cookies are loaded with protein and heart-healthy fats, plus a delicious lemon and almond flavor.
- 2 cups unblanched almonds
1/2 cup Sucanat or sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract (find one that's kosher for Passover)
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
3 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grind the almonds in a food processor, and pour them into a mixing bowl.
- Mix in the Sucanat, almond extract, salt, and lemon rind. Then stir in the egg whites. The dough will be thick, like wet sand.
- Use a spoon to place two-inch balls on a pan lined with a Silpat mat or parchment paper.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until dry and lightly brown on top.
Makes 20 cookies. Here's the nutritional info for one cookie:
Source: Calorie Count
- Desserts, Cookies
- North American
- 20 cookies
- Total Time
- 19 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving