Who said comfort food couldn't be good for you? This oh-so-creamy, warm, and delicious homemade dish is like a combination of mac and cheese and pesto pasta. But it's much healthier.
This recipe is made without an ounce of milk or cheese. The creaminess comes from fiber-rich avocado, which is also an excellent source of healthy fats that your body needs to feel full and satisfied after a meal.
Add in the fresh flavors of basil, garlic, and lemon juice, and this pasta recipe is sure to become a favorite in your dinner rotation. And bonus — it comes together in 20 minutes and makes great lunch leftovers.
This is a very basic recipe, so feel free to doll it up by adding roasted veggies, beans, or sautéed tofu. And of course, if you're avoiding gluten, just use rice or quinoa pasta instead.
This dish tastes delicious served warm or at room temperature.
- 8 oz. uncooked pasta (I used spaghetti)
- 1 ripe avocado, just the flesh
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 small garlic clove
- Juice from half a lemon (1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (optional)
- Cook the pasta as directed on the package.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the avocado, basil, garlic clove, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt to a food processor. Blend until a smooth, creamy sauce forms.
- Drain the pasta throroughly and transfer to a large glass or ceramic bowl. Add the tomatoes now if you're using them.
- Pour on the avocado basil sauce and stir until well combined. Enjoy!
Source: Calorie Count
- Pasta, Main Dishes
- 4 servings
- Cook Time
- 20 minutes
- Calories per serving