Not a fan of sugar in your oatmeal? Not at all into chalky-tasting protein powder? Then you'll love this low-sugar, high-protein overnight oatmeal recipe that's oh so creamy and naturally sweet. The secret? Mashed chickpeas and banana.
OK, I get it. Chickpeas sound a little weird for breakfast. But they have such a satisfying smooth texture when mashed, and since they're virtually flavorless, they blend in with the oatmeal so well — you can't taste them at all.
Offering a whopping 15 grams of protein and almost 11 grams of fiber, this breakfast is perfect if you're trying to lose weight — it'll keep you full and energized for hours. And the best part is that it only takes five minutes the night before to throw together.
- 1/2 banana
- 1 tablespoon chickpeas
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1 tablespoon salted cashews, chopped
- Mash one quarter of a banana (save the other quarter for the topping) and chickpeas in a mason jar or small bowl.
- Add the oats, chia seeds, cinnamon, and soymilk and mix together.
- Place in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, slice the remaining banana on top, add the chopped cashews and a sprinkle of cinnamon, and enjoy.
Source: Calorie Count
- 1 serving
- Cook Time
- 5 minutes
- Calories per serving