Cheez-It Roasted Chickpeas Recipe
Lose Weight and Indulge in Your Cravings With These "Cheez-It" Chickpeas
I must confess, these oven-roasted chickpeas are not Cheez-Its, and they don't quite capture the same flaky, airy texture of the cracker. I'm sorry! Well, not really, because they do have a spicy-cheesy taste, are satisfyingly crunchy, and are filling to boot. You win some; you lose some. High in fiber-rich carbs and protein, "Cheez-It" chickpeas make a tasty pre- or post-workout snack. Alternatively, use them as a cheesy crouton substitute in a salad or soup.
The Cheez-It flavor comes from a vegan cheese sauce made with cashews and nutritional yeast. Though it looks like peanut butter when applied to the chickpeas, it roasts up into a marvelously crispy, fluffy shell as if you are eating something breaded and fried. Mmm! I should also mention, this recipe will make your kitchen smell like pizza.
One thing to note: allow these chickpeas to cool slightly before you snack on them. You don't want to burn your tongue from the steam escaping the center of the chickpeas!
"Cheez-It" Roasted Chickpeas
Inspired by Fooduzzi and VeganYumYum
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup unsalted, roasted cashews
1/2 lemon, juiced
3/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, patted dry
Cayenne, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a food processor, create the "cheese" sauce by blending all ingredients together (except for chickpeas and cayenne), until a mixture resembling peanut butter forms.
- In a large bowl, rub the "cheese" sauce all over the chickpeas until evenly coated.
- Transfer to a baking sheet, sprinkle cayenne on top, and bake for 25-35 minutes, or until crunchy and toasted. Use a flat spatula to flip chickpeas halfway through cook time and break up any clumps.
- Once cooked, allow to cool slightly before serving warm.
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern
- 6 servings
- Calories per serving