Don't let cravings get the best of you. Have it all with this high-protein snack that will satisfy your sweet tooth without going overboard on calories and processed sugar. Shhh — don't tell yourself that the main ingredient is chickpeas!
At just 144 calories, each serving has only three grams of sugar and offers a whopping 6.2 grams of protein and five grams of filling fiber. And did I mention it tastes like chocolate?!
If you've never roasted chickpeas before, this is the perfect recipe to start with.
- 15-ounce can of chickpeas
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 teaspoons coconut sugar (or organic sugar)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat silicone mat.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas in a colander. Place them on a towel to dry off.
- Pour them into a large bowl and add the oil, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and salt, and mix to coat.
- Spread the chickpeas out on the pan and roast for 15 minutes. Give a stir and roast for another 15 minutes. For added crunchiness, turn off the oven and leave them in with the door cracked for another 15 minutes.
- Enjoy right away or store in an airtight container.
Source: Calorie Count
- North American
- 4 servings
- Total Time
- 44 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving