As if you thought you made every healthy pumpkin recipe you could possibly make this Fall, here's another one to blow your Autumn-recipe-loving mind. These protein balls have all the warm spices you adore from a pumpkin pie, but with 77 calories per bite, you can satisfy your cravings without succumbing to that ever-annoying holiday weight gain.
This recipe offers a healthy dose of protein and fiber, but since these cookie-dough-like balls are rolled in chopped chocolate chips and pumpkin seeds, this snack feels more like a treat.
You can whip up a batch and store them in your fridge to enjoy whether you need to refuel after a tough workout (two balls equal 148 calories and offer 6.8 grams of protein and 3.4 grams of fiber) or to quench your insatiable sweet tooth. Plus it's dairy and gluten free!
This recipe can easily be made gluten free as long as your oats and protein powder are also gluten free.
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted (about 6)
- 7 ounces pumpkin puree
- 1 serving vanilla-plant-based protein powder (about 35 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 4 tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons mini dairy-free chocolate chips
- Add the almonds, oats, dates, pumpkin puree, protein powder, and spices to the food processor. Turn on until a choppy dough forms, several minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the raw pumpkin seeds, and pulse until combined so the pumpkin seeds remain a little coarse. The dough will be slightly sticky.
- In a small food processor or NutriBullet, quickly chop the remaining 2 tablespoons of pumpkins seeds with the chocolate chips — this only takes 1 second; you want it chopped, not powdery. Pour mixture into a small bowl.
- Roll dough into 20 balls, roll each in the pumpkin seed and chocolate chip topping, and place on a clean cookie sheet.
- Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes to set. Store uneaten balls in an airtight container in the fridge.
Source: Calorie Count
- North American
- 20 balls
- Total Time
- 29 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving