These protein- and carb-packed energy bars from The Runner's World Cookbook are the perfect snack to grab while you're getting ready for a workout, or for when you need to refuel after one. Almonds, cashews, sesame seeds, and sunflower seeds fill you up, while honey and dates will give you the carbs you need while you sweat. And at 300 calories, each bar will keep you full for hours.
If your bars aren't holding together well, let the pan cool and refrigerate before cutting into squares.
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 whole raw almonds
- 1/2 cup whole raw cashews or peanuts
- 1/2 cup seasame seeds
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped dates or raisins
- 1 1/2 cups tahini or peanut butter
- 1 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously coat a 10-inch by 15-inch baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, coconut, almonds, cashews or peanuts, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, and dates or raisins.
- Combine the tahini or peanut butter and honey in a bowl, and heat in the microwave on high for 1 minute. Add the vanilla extract, and mix well. Add to the oat mixture, and stir until well combined.
- Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and, with wet hands, pat into a rectangle about 1-inch high (it will be about 10 inches by 12 inches). Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges of the bar turn golden brown. Do not overbake. The bars will still feel tacky in the center but will firm up as they cool.
- Cook Time
- 25 minutes
- Calories per serving