Buttery, moist, and lemony sweet, Iced Lemon Pound Cake from Starbucks may taste like a bite of Summer, but a slice will run you 470 calories. That's more than most people eat for lunch! It's a crime, actually, when you could just as easily enjoy a slice of this veganized version that — get ready for this — has almost 200 fewer calories!
Also buttery (without the butter), moist, and lemony sweet, this cake is made with almond meal so you'll also get a little extra fiber and protein. Equally perfect to enjoy as a breakfast treat with a low-calorie smoothie or to serve at an elegant brunch, this cake will calm your lemon pound cake cravings and fool anyone who's skeptical that a vegan cake could taste this good.
- Lemon cake:
- 1 cup unsweetened organic soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons white whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup almond meal (ground raw almonds)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup organic sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- Juice from half a small lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 teaspoons pure lemon extract
- Lemon Icing:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened organic soy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly spray a loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy milk and apple cider vinegar, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, almond meal, baking powder, and salt.
- In the medium bowl with the soy milk and vinegar mixture, add the sugar, oil, lemon juice, and lemon extract, and mix well.
- Make a well in your dry ingredients, pour in the wet, and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan, and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let sit for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan to cool on a wire rack.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the icing. Once the cake is completely cool, drizzle on top and enjoy!
Source: Calorie Count
- Desserts, Cake
- 8 servings
- Cook Time
- 45 minutes
- Calories per serving