When we first laid eyes on Kayla Itsines's new book, The Bikini Body 28-Day Healthy Eating & Lifestyle Guide, we were captivated. It's like a paper form of Kayla's personality — and her Instagram! Bright, gorgeous colors, stunningly beautiful photography, and mouthwatering healthy recipes.
We dove headfirst into the hundreds of meal ideas, and couldn't wait to get started. First on our list to make? This scrumptious salmon burger. With omega-3-packed salmon (great for a mood boost!), fresh veggie toppings (including energy-packed spinach), and plenty of fresh and healthy fixings, this lightened-up burger will be even more flavorful than what you usually make on the grill.
"Once you have a bite of this burger, you'll be hooked," says Kayla. "The caper yogurt adds a nice lemony flavor that complements not only the fish, but the salad too."
- For the Burger
6-ounce salmon fillet, skin removed, deboned and roughly chopped
1 scallion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Oil spray (like olive oil or coconut oil spray)
- For the Caper Yogurt
3 1/2 ounces low-fat plain yogurt
1 ounce salt-reduced low-fat feta cheese, crumbled
2 tablespoon capers, rinsed, drained, and finely chopped
2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill lemon juice, to taste
- For the Fixings
1 Lebanese cucumber, grated
4 radishes, grated
1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
2 whole wheat bread rolls
1 small handful baby spinach leaves
- Place the salmon, scallion, parsley, mustard, salt, and pepper in a food processor and pulse briefly until the fish is roughly minced.
- Using wet hands, shape the mixture into two even patties. Place on a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make the caper yogurt, whisk the yogurt, feta, capers, dill, and lemon juice together in a small bowl.
- Heat a large non-stick fry pan over medium heat and spray lightly with oil spray.
- Add the patties and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, then carefully turn and cook for a further 4 to 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Place the cucumber, radish, and fennel in a small bowl and toss gently to combine.
- To serve, cut the bread rolls in half and toast lightly in a toaster or under a hot oven broiler. On one half of each roll, layer half of the spinach, cucumber mixture, and a salmon patty. Drizzle over the caper yoghurt and top with the other half of each roll.
- Main Dishes, BBQ
- North American