Do you aways feel completely spent after an intense workout? We're talking sluggish and tired for the rest of the day and sometimes even the day after? Sounds like you need more protein. So grab a spoon! This post-workout recovery ice cream — yes, ice cream! — is the cure to your sluggishness.
It offers 15.1 grams of protein and 33.6 grams of carbs. "What about the 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein?" you ask. While that strict ratio used to be crucial, recent research shows that as long as your meal or snack offers between 15 and 25 grams of protein, you can relax the ratio to 3:1 or even 2:1. After a long, sweaty, hot workout, this is the coolest, most delicious way to refuel.
This recipe makes two servings, so if you have no one to share it with, freeze the second half in a reusable glass container. Then be sure to place it in the fridge before you head out for your long workout, so when you come home, it'll be thawed enough to enjoy. If it's still too hard, pop it in the microwave for 8-10 seconds.
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened soy milk
- 1 scoop vanilla plant-based protein powder (I love Vega Sport Performance Protein)
- 1 tablespoon raw almonds, chopped
- Add the frozen bananas, strawberries, and soy milk to a blender, and puree until completely smooth. (This may take a few minutes to allow the frozen fruit to soften.)
- Add the protein powder, and puree another minute or so.
- Scoop out half the ice cream, top with half the chopped almonds, and enjoy!
Source: Calorie Count
- 2 servings
- Cook Time
- Calories per serving