When it's cold and blustery outside, we crave something warm and comforting to eat. While lasagna is a longtime family fave, it's not exactly the healthiest. But this version is!
Instead of ricotta, the creaminess comes from blended tofu flavored with garlic and fresh basil. The velvety consistency will floor you!
It's seriously hard to tell that this version is made without dairy. My husband actually said it was more flavorful than regular lasagna, so that's a huge win! Plus it's loaded with cholesterol-free protein.
At under 450 calories, this vegan lasagna offers over 17 grams of protein and 5.5 grams of fiber. Pair it with a big salad and you've got yourself a healthy, comforting meal to satisfy your cheesy pasta cravings.
This recipe is super basic, but you can doll it up by adding a layer of roasted veggies or some Beyond Meat Beefy Crumbles instead of ground beef.
- 12 lasagna noodles
2 blocks of firm tofu
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
8 fresh basil leaves (or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 jar tomato sauce (or more if you like it saucy)
1/4 cup Follow Your Heart Mozzarella Shreds (optional)
- Add a couple pinches of salt and a teaspoon of olive oil to a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook 14 noodles (the recipe calls for 12, but it's nice to cook extra in case one or two break).
- While the noodles are cooking, drain the tofu slightly by gently squeezing each block over the sink to get some of the excess water out.
- Add tofu to a food processor or high-speed blender. Pour in the garlic powder, sea salt, and basil and puree until smooth and creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Once lasagna noodles are cooked, drain and allow to cool so you can handle them.
- Using a 9 x 11 glass dish, pour a little sauce on the bottom. Place four lasagna noodles on top.
- Spread half the tofu basil ricotta on top of the noodles. Spread on a light layer of tomato sauce.
- Add four more noodles, then spread the rest of the tofu basil ricotta on top. Add more sauce, then the last four lasagna noodles. Pour remaining sauce on top. If you choose, sprinkle with dairy-free mozzarella.
- Cover with foil and bake for one hour.
- Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes, then cut and enjoy!
- Pasta, Main Dishes
- 9 servings
- Total Time
- 1 hour, 59 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving