One-Legged Hip Thrust
Hip thrusts look, well let’s be honest, kind of rude but there's a lot of research on which exercises target your glutes most effectively and this exercise came out top! I’ve adapted the standard exercise which rests a barbell across your hips because, as a woman, they can be a bit uncomfortable. Once you get better at the move, you can rest a kettlebell or dumbbell on the top of your thigh to increase the intensity.
- Lean back against a secure bench so your back is at about 45 degrees.
- Keep your low back flat.
- Bend your knees to about 45 degrees.
- Rest a dumbbell or kettlebell against your right thigh (optional).
- Lift your left foot off the ground.
- In one smooth movement, push through your right heel until your hips are fully extended.
- Perform the exercise with your other leg.
- Our glutes are strong. If you’re doing this with bodyweight alone, I recommend sets of 20 reps. If you’re using a weight, once you’re confident, aim for five to six reps per set.