Side Plank Crunch
"Side planks are great for shoulder stability and core strengthening," Caley said. "The obliques are the heavy hitter for this movement. Not only are you firing up your lower obliques, but adding the knee drives also provides an additional oblique crunch on the other side."
- Begin in a side elbow plank with your left forearm on the floor and your right hand behind your head.
- Keeping your torso stable and your waist lifted, bring your right knee up toward your shoulder to lightly tap your right elbow.
- Lengthen your right leg back to the starting position to complete one rep.
- Do 10 to 12 reps on each side to complete a set.
- Caley also recommends alternating or integrating this exercise into a circuit with other ab moves, holding each move for 10 seconds (for these, 10 seconds on each side) and increasing the duration until you get up to one minute of each move.