What is it? Similar to a tampon, a menstrual cup is inserted into the vagina and is held in place by the vaginal walls. It collects the menstrual fluid and is reusable. When removed properly, the opening of the cup stays upright, and the blood remains in the cup. This is a Saalt Cup ($29) which can last up to 10 years with proper care.
- Easy to insert and remove once you have practice.
- Can be worn for 12 hours, and depending on the size, can hold two to four tampons worth of fluid.
- Can be worn during workouts, swimming, pooping, and sleeping.
- Doesn't leak.
- It's preferable to have access to a sink when removing it so you can clean it before reinserting, but it's not necessary as you can just dump it out and wipe it with some toilet paper.
- Great for camping.
- Sometimes you can feel it or it's uncomfortable, especially if you're feeling crampy
- Removing can create suction which can be very uncomfortable.