New iPhones are coming! Maybe. Today, Sept. 9, is every Apple fanboy/fangirl's favorite Tuesday of the year: product launch day. Every September, the company selects a Tuesday to announce their latest, greatest iPhones — and this year might include the most exciting reveal yet. Apple is notorious for keeping their products under wraps until their own unveil, but several leaks have us convinced that we know what's coming. We'll be covering the event on the ground, live, so head back here for more, or catch the event live stream. But until then, here's what to expect from the top-secret Apple September Spectacular:
- The unwrapping of the secret event center — The Sept. 9 keynote will take place at the Flint Center for the Performing Arts in Cupertino, CA. Apple has covered the newly constructed three-story building with a white tarp and beefed up security around the perimeter. Yahoo Tech ingeniously flew a drone over the venue to take a closer look.
- New iPhones! — It's going to be gold, and it's going to be thinner than ever. If this HD video of a leaked iPhone 6 is any indication, the new iOS-powered smartphone will boast a bigger screen than the current model. It may even come in two sizes.
- iWatch — An Apple-designed smartwatch is all but certain. The New York Times quoted an Apple designer who secretly revealed that the iWatch is coming and that Apple design guru Jony Ive thinks that "Switzerland is in trouble" because the iWatch will be the watch to end all watches. Top analysts also agree that a wearable gadget will be announced tomorrow and we really hope it looks like this.
- iOS 8 — We're thinking that iOS 8, Apple's new mobile operating system, will also be available to download for most iPhone users tomorrow. Even if you can't get the new iPhone, you can make your device feel like new. Self-destructing texts, family sharing for iTunes accounts, and powerful photo-editing tools are some of the most buzzed-about features in the new iOS.
- Beats + Apple Collaboration — Apple acquired Beats by Dre in May. A collaboration between the two teams may be revealed at the event.
- Mobile payments — The tech press has been riled up about rumors that the new iPhone will include mobile payment technology powered by an NFC, or Near Field Communications, chip. A potential partnership with American Express will mean that users will be able to leave their credit cards at home and just show their iPhone. No more wallet fumbling!