Not a morning person? You are now! As soon as your alarm goes off, the warm aroma of pumpkin pie oatmeal will waft into your bedroom and gently pull you smiling out of bed. These slow-cooked oats are not only comforting on a chilly morning, they follow the perfect breakfast formula to help you lose weight. At 382 calories per serving, each bite has a hint of maple and raisin sweetness, with a touch of nutty crunchiness.
The best part is the actual recipe: all you do is throw the ingredients into a glass bowl that you place in your slow cooker, turn it on low before hopping in bed, and you can quickly drift off to dreamland, knowing you'll have a satisfying breakfast to high five your tastebuds come morning. Since it makes six servings, you can cover the glass bowl with foil, place it in the fridge, and you'll have a delicious Fall-inspired breakfast for the entire week made!
This recipe is also vegan, making it low in saturated fat and cholesterol. And as with any hearty bowl of oatmeal, you know your belly will stay full and satisfied for hours, offering you tons of energy for that late morning workout.
- 1 1/4 cups steel-cut oats (not to be replaced with quick or rolled oats)
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 apple, diced with skin
3 tablespoons almond butter
4 1/4 cups unsweetened soy milk (can use almond)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup chopped nuts (almonds, pecans, or walnuts)
1/2 cup raisins
- Add all the ingredients except for 1/4 cup of the nuts and 1/4 cup of the raisins to a glass bowl that will fit inside your slow cooker. Give it a good stir, and place the bowl in the center.
- Carefully fill the slow cooker with water, to about 1 inch below the rim of the glass bowl. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- In the morning, remove the lid and stir up the oatmeal. Scoop out about a 1-cup serving, and top with a sprinkling of nuts and raisins.
- Store uneaten oatmeal in the fridge.
Here's the nutritional info for one serving.
Source: Calorie Count
- North American
- 6 servings
- Total Time
- 8 hours, 9 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving