Get ready to cross a goal off your bucket list: competing in the CrossFit Open! This is the first line of CrossFit competitions (Regionals is next, then The Games), taking place Feb. 22 through March 26. It lasts for five weeks and consists of one workout per week, and just about everyone who belongs to a box will take part.
This competition is for everyone — all levels, all ages, all abilities — not just elite athletes looking to compete in The CrossFit Games. "From Fittest on Earth to first-timer, we all start together," as CrossFit likes to say. Even if you've only been doing CrossFit for a couple of weeks, you can still compete, you can just do the scaled version.
Here are five reasons you should sign up:
- It's fun! This is the ultimate CrossFit party, and everyone's going! All the people you sweat alongside day in and day out during classes will be competing with you. It's like the ultimate CrossFit class. It'll make you fall deeper in love with CrossFit and get you even more pumped to keep up with your fitness journey.
- To see where you stand: You can see how your scores compare with CrossFitters all over the world. It'll give you a little taste of the thrilling competitive adrenaline rush that can push you even harder for that next workout.
- To improve your game: Competing in the CrossFit Open takes your training to a whole new level. You can see where your weaknesses are and where your strengths are, and it's a great benchmark to help you set new goals and inspire you to work even harder. Keep in mind that, without even knowing it, your competing might be inspiring others, too.
- To become tighter with your CrossFit community: A huge part of the reason you love CrossFit so much is because of the supportive community that helps you become the strongest, best version of you. During the Open, you'll make new connections with fellow box members, and the camaraderie and friendship that comes from complaining about the grueling workouts and high-fiving each other for completing them will tighten your bonds and make you feel like an even closer CrossFit family. It also supports your box and is a great way to thank CrossFit and your coaches.
- You won't regret it: During those five weeks, you'll push past your comfort zone and learn new things about yourself, your courage, and your determination — things you wouldn't have learned if you skipped out.
Are you ready? Beginning Thursday, Jan. 11, go to CrossFit.com to register (it costs $20). Choose your age bracket, and you're in! The first workout begins Feb. 22 (it's called 18.1). Every Thursday evening, the CrossFit Games director Dave Castro will announce the workout for the following week.
You can complete your workouts at your gym with a judge watching (someone at your gym like a coach or fellow CrossFitter who's completed CrossFit's online course for judging). Or videotape yourself from anywhere in the world, and submit a link for proof.
Don't think too much about it. Just sign up! You have nothing to lose and so much to gain.