Healthy Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe
This 5-Ingredient Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake Is Packed With Protein and Decadent Fudgy Flavor
Looking to satisfy your chocolate cravings? Make this single-serving healthy chocolate mug cake in just two minutes! It's vegan, grain-free, sweetened naturally with banana (a small sprinkling of chocolate chips), and oh-so gooey and decadent. The batter is made with protein-rich black beans, but you can't taste them at all. And almond butter helps give this mug cake its creamy texture.
As you can see from the photos, it's thick, moist, and fudgy, more like the texture of a lava cake than a chewy brownie. Even though this chocolate mug cake is made without white sugar or maple syrup (like many other recipes you'll find), it's still tastes sweet and rich. It tastes amazing as is, but of course, you can take it to the next luscious level and top it with dairy-free yogurt, ice cream, or if you want to avoid sugar, spoon some sugar-free nice cream on top.
Healthy Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake
- 1 medium banana (about 100 grams)
2 tablespoons black beans (about 25 grams)
1 tablespoon almond butter (I used Trader Joe's Raw Creamy)
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon dairy-free chocolate chips (optional, I used Enjoy Life Mini Chips, but you can also use Lily's)
- In a small bowl (not the container you're microwaving the mug cake in), mash the banana, black beans, and almond butter until smooth, about one minute.
- Stir in the cocoa powder.
- Pour the batter into a small mug or ramekin. Microwave for one minute. Sprinkle on the chocolate chips (if using), and microwave for another 30 to 120 seconds, until the batter is top center is almost dry. The texture will be fudgey, so don't over-microwave because it'll cause a rubbery texture.
- Allow to cool for a couple minutes (it'll be super hot!) and enjoy as is or topped with dairy-free yogurt or ice cream.
Here's the nutritional information verywell.com:
- 1 serving
- Prep Time
- 2 minutes
- Cook Time
- 2 minutes
- Total Time
- 3 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving