Your Tight Hips Are Begging You to Find a Wall For This Relaxing Wide Squat Stretch
Are your tight hips begging for some love and attention? If you run, lift weights, or sit at a desk all day, tight hips are pretty common. But you don't have to suffer, especially if your tight hips are causing knee or lower-back pain.
Find a wall ASAP and do this relaxing reclining wide squat stretch. It's just like doing a wide squat, but this variation allows you to get an even deeper stretch, thanks to gravity and gentle pressure from the wall working together. I learned this in a conditioning class I take at my CrossFit gym. Now, I not only include it in the yoga classes I teach, but it feels so good, it's a stretch I do at home every day.
Wide Squat Wall Stretch
- Sit down as close as you can to the wall. Lie down on your back, place your feet on the wall with your knees bent, and scoot your butt against the wall.
- Extend your feet straight up, resting your heels on the wall. Keep your arms by your sides or by your head (this position will stretch your shoulders).
- Bend your knees and bring the soles of your feet down the wall and into a wide squat position.
- To intensify the stretch, place your hands on your inner knees and gently press your knees toward the floor.
- Enjoy this stretch for five or more deep breaths.