Ali Greenman, NASM- and ACE-certified personal trainer and founder of Final Straw Fitness, said, "The Pallof Press is sure to light up your whole core and build some unbelievable strength all throughout!"
- Lower the carriage of a cable machine so that it's about chest height, and attach a D-handle to the pulley. Adjust the weight so that it's at 10 pounds. If this is too heavy or too light, feel free to change the weight.
- Standing with the left side of your body closest to the machine, grab the handle with both hands and take two or three steps out so that there's tension on the cable. Hold your hands at your sternum, and make sure that your body is square. If you feel like you're getting pulled to the left, this is an indicator that you should lighten the weight.
- On an exhale, press the cable straight out in front of your body. Be sure not to rotate toward the machine. Hold for two seconds before returning to the starting position. This counts as one rep.
- Ali says to do eight to 12 reps on each side.
- To make the move more challenging, Ali suggests holding for 10 seconds when your hands are all the way out.