Poor cottage cheese; eclipsed by the
marketing glory of Greek yogurt and lumped in with health fads of yesteryear, it seems as though this long-lost friend of weight loss has been left alone on the shelves. But nobody leaves cottage cheese in the corner! Here are some reasons to add this supercheap superfood back into your modern-day diet.
- High protein. Whether you opt for full-fat or low-fat, you'll be getting a ton of protein. In a half a cup of whole milk cottage cheese, you'll get nearly 12 grams of protein.
- Low calorie. Despite being highly nutritious, cottage cheese won't add too much to your calorie count — but it will make you feel full! Depending on which kind you get, a half cup will run you 50 to 85 calories.
- Low sugar. While many yogurts seem healthy, they're often loaded with sugar. Not the case with cottage cheese, which isn't (typically) sweetened, meaning the only sugar comes from all-natural lactose. Win.
- Great base for smoothies. Whether you're going for strawberry milkshake vibes or you're more in the mood for a low-cal mango lassi, cottage cheese makes an awesome smoothie base. And when healthy foods are easier to make and quickly consume (read: smoothies), you're more likely to make better food choices.
- Nutritious breakfast. Getting a good amount of protein in the morning means you'll be less likely to snack on something less favorable later.
- Filling snack. Hitting an afternoon slump? Power through with a good balance of macronutrients. You'll feel satisfied and sated with cottage cheese, and you won't have to go through bags upon bags of office chips or cookies.
- Versatile. You can make so many recipes with cottage cheese, which means endless possibilities to add this nutritious food to your diet and more help toward your weight-loss goals.