Smith Machine Squat
- Adjust the bar of the Smith Machine so it's at shoulder height. Ultimately, the height will be different for everyone and you may need to raise or lower it.
- Start with a loaded bar: 10-pound plates on each side is a great starting point. Beginners should start with just the bar and gradually add weight as they become familiar with the movement.
- Position your hands about shoulder-width apart on the bar and lightly grip the bar with an overhand grip.
- Step in front of the rack and rest the bar on your trapezius muscles (the muscles closest to your neck/upper back).
- With your feet about hip-distance apart, unlock the bar by lifting it up and forward.
- Shift your weight back into your heels. Brace your abs as you begin to lower into a squat, keeping your head and spine in a neutral position. Your knees should be as close to 90 degrees as possible. Hold for one second.
- With your core still braced, drive through your heels to stand back up. Be sure to squeeze your glutes at the top of your squat. That's one rep.
- Complete three sets of 12 reps.