This 30-Minute HIIT Workout Requires Zero Equipment, and the Core Burnout Is Our Fave Part
Need an effective workout you can do at home to target all your major muscle groups? NASM-certified trainer Shantel Wallace shared this full-body HIIT workout that requires no equipment. It's made of four bodyweight moves with the option of holding a weight like a dumbbell, kettlebell, a gallon jug of water, or a baby (in her case!) for the last three core exercises.
Shantel Wallace's 30-Minute Full-Body HIIT Workout
Equipment needed: None. A dumbbell, kettlebell, gallon of water, or other weighted item is optional.
Directions: Warm up with a few minutes of jumping jacks, brisk walking, or going up and down a flight of stairs 12 to 15 times. Set a timer for 30 minutes and complete as many rounds as you can of the first four moves listed below, with no rest between rounds if possible (Wallace said she was able to complete four rounds). After that, take a one-minute rest and complete three rounds of the last three exercises, which she calls the "core burnout." Finish with a cooldown like this 10-minute stretching routine.
- Lunge with a knee drive: 20 seconds on each leg followed by a 15-second rest
- Half burpee with a lateral hop: 40 seconds followed by a 15-second rest
- Jack and press: 40 seconds followed by a 15-second rest
- Diamond plank and arm lift: 40 seconds followed by a 15-second rest
Rest for one minute, then complete three rounds of the following exercises:
- Leg spreader: 10 reps
- Crunch: 10 reps
- Crunch with a two-second hold: 10 reps