I'm in quite a tough spot because I love to bake, but my body doesn't handle sugar well. I get bloated, my face breaks out, I feel moody, I don't sleep well, and when I eat it, my cravings are so bad that I can't stop thinking about it. Oh, but it tastes so damn good!
I try to eat sugar only occasionally, but I always end up eating so much that my belly aches. So over the past couple of years, I've learned to adapt my recipes to omit added sugar, like these sugar-free date cookies and these fruit-sweetened muffins, and now, I have this added-sugar-free brownie recipe.
Made with just five ingredients — rolled oats, ripe banana, almond butter, cocoa powder, and chopped walnuts — these brownies have that soft, chewy texture I crave and that sweet, chocolaty flavor. These don't taste as sweet as regular sugar-filled brownies, but they're sweet enough for me!
These brownies are not only free of added sugars, but they're also gluten-free, vegan, and oil-free. They taste amazing served with this easy, five-minute banana-berry nice cream or topped with crunchy peanut butter and a sprinkling of cacao nibs.
This recipe is a delicious reason to buy an extra bunch of bananas. I like to meal prep a batch on Sunday so I have a healthy treat to enjoy after dinner that I know will make me feel good. They freeze well, too, so you can take one out at a time, warm it up in the microwave, and dessert is served!
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
3 ripe bananas
1/2 cup creamy almond butter (salted)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts (or other nut)
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and lightly oil a 7x11-inch pan.
- Add oats to a food processor, and grind into flour.
- Add the bananas, almond butter, and cocoa powder, and mix until a smooth batter forms.
- Spread the batter evenly into the pan using a spatula and top with chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool slightly before cutting into eight squares. Enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container or freeze.
Here's the nutritional information for one brownie:
- Desserts, Brownies
- 8 servings
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 15 minutes
- Total Time
- 19 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving