Combine your cardio with some strength training to reap the benefits of both types of sweat sessions. Today's Bikini Body Countdown workout mixes running with toning exercises, so you build muscle while burning a bunch of calories in just 30 minutes. If you don't have access to a treadmill, just do some form of cardio that gets your heart rate up and keeps it up for five minutes. We use weights in this workout, so grab a set of dumbbells between five and 10 pounds. No dumbbells? No problem. This workout will still be effective without them.
Here's the plan. Familiarize yourself with the move explained below the workout, then print out the chart, and get ready to shred.
|Run||Set incline to 1%, and speed between 5.0 and 7.0 mph.|
|5:00-10:00||Strength Circuit||Perform each exercise for 45 seconds, then repeat on the other side.|
|Woodchop||Holding weight high to left, cross the body bringing your arms outside your hip with right knee lifted.|
|Split squat||Hold weights at your shoulders.|
|Side plank crunch||Holding side plank, bring your top knee and elbow toward each other.||10:00-15:00||Cardio|
|Run||Set incline to 2%, and speed between 5.0 and 7.0 mph.|
|15:00-20:00||Strength Circuit||Do each exercise for 45 seconds, and repeat.|
|Standing weighted twist||Hold weight at chest and twist ribs from side to side.|
|Bridge||From seated position, push pelvis up to a tabletop position.|
|Straight leg sit-up||Perform slow and controlled sit-ups with straight legs.|
|Run||Set incline to 3%, and speed between 5.0 and 7.0 mph.|
|25:00-30:00||Strength Circuit||Perform each exercise for 45 seconds, then repeat.|
|Clam||Do this side-lying glute exercise on the right for first round and the left for the second.|
|T-cross sit-up||Roll-up to sitting bringing opposite hand to lifted foot.|
|Asymetrical push-up||Hold elbow plank on one side while performing a push-up with the other. Do one side per round.|
You get about 30 seconds rest at the end of each bout of strength training,
High to Low Woodchop
- Holding a dumbbell overhead, twist to the left pivoting your right foot as needed.
- Exhale, slice the dumbbell across your body to the right as your raise your right knee to bring the weight to the outside of your right hip.
- Begin in a wide stance, with your left leg forward and the weights at your shoulders.
- Bend both knees coming into a lunge, making sure your front knees doesn't go past your front ankle.
Side Plank Crunch
- Start in a side plank, with the fingers of your top arm behind your head and the elbow to the ceiling.
- Bring the knee of your top leg and the elbow of your top arm together, crunching your side waist.
Standing Weighted Twist
- Stand with your knees slightly soft, holding a dumbbell at chest level.
- Twist your ribcage right and left, keeping your pelvis stable.
- Sit on the mat with your fingers facing away from you, with about 12 inches between your butt and your heels.
- Press through your glutes as you lift your butt off the floor coming into a tabletop position.
- Begin on your back with your legs straight and arms raised toward the ceiling.
- Roll up to sitting, focusing on the abs rounding the back. Roll back down to the mat slowly, one vertebra at a time.
- Lie on your side with you hips and knees at 45-degree angles. Reach through your top hip so your pelvis is level and your waist just off the floor.
- Keeping your pelvis still and your heels together, lift and lower your top knee.
- Begin lying on the floor with your arms out wide to the sides, making a T with your body.
- Sit up lifting your right leg and twist to bring your left hand to your right toes. Slowly roll back down and repeat on the other side.
- Begin in a plank then lower your left elbow to the ground, with your forearm crossing under your chest. From this position bend your right elbow, lowering your body to the mat.
- Straighten your right elbow and continue performing push-ups in this position.