40 Best Sister Costume Ideas For Halloween
Best friend and couples Halloween costumes are great, but who better to accompany you on the year's spookiest night than your own flesh and blood? OK, you don't necessarily need a sister to dress in these fantastic pop culture looks, but you might want to grab a buddy to pull off these sister costumes.
If you want to go with a literal sister look-alike costume for Halloween this year, you'll find great inspiration from classics like "Sister, Sister" — which stars real-life twins Tia and Tamera Mowry — and "The Parent Trap," where Lindsay Lohan pulls double-duty as Hallie and Annie. Or perhaps you love sister witches: in that case, you should look to "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" or the "Hocus Pocus" movies to find the best sister costume ideas. Or maybe you and your bestie just want matching outfits so you go as multiple versions of Beyoncé from her "Lemonade" era.
Whichever sister Halloween costumes you're in search of this year, you're sure to find the perfect look up here. We've compiled some of the most creative, iconic sister characters from popular movies and TV shows for this list. Want to go old-school with "The Brady Bunch"? How about medieval for some "Game of Thrones" looks? Whatever your jam, we've got your ideal Halloween costumes for sisters up ahead.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Tia Landry and Tamera Campbell From "Sister, Sister"
- What to wear: Go full-on '90s with patterned tights, high-waited shorts with matching denim vests, a big shirt, and some floppy hats.
- How to act: Tia is the book-smart, somewhat-uptight one. Tamera is wackier, but you should both be telling everyone to "go home, Roger."
Sister Halloween Costumes: Nebula and Gamora From "Guardians of the Galaxy"
- What to wear: You'll have to fully commit with body paint for both of these. Nebula is blue with a bald cap, and Gamora is green with long, flowing hair. Both wear space-age clothes with some glowing jewelry, but only Nebula has mechanical arms.
- How to act: If you're Nebula, ask people if they've seen your pal, Ronan the Accuser. If you're Gamora, you're looking for Peter Quill.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Alex and Annie Mack From "The Secret World of Alex Mack"
- What to wear: Alex needs a striped t-shirt, overall shorts, a sweatshirt tied at the waist, and a backwards baseball cap. Annie is dressed conservatively with a lab coat.
- How to act: If you're Alex, try to turn things on with your newfound powers. Morph into silver liquid if possible. For Annie, talk about your big-girl job at the lab.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Hilda and Zelda Spellman From "Sabrina the Teenage Witch"
- What to wear: Hilda is a little bit more out there with her wardrobe, so wear bright colors in splashy patterns. For Zelda, grab a pencil skirt and a turtleneck sweater.
- How to act: Chase after (imaginary) Salem and ask people if they've seen Sabrina.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Lady Mary and Lady Rose From "Downton Abbey"
- What to wear: Turn-of-the-century gowns. If you have a third to be Lady Sybil, make sure her gown is dirty (you know, like a zombie).
- How to act: Lady Mary is hauty, while Lady Rose would be talking about her adventures in London.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Marcia, Jan, and Cindy Brady From "The Brady Bunch"
- What to wear: Dive into some sweet '70s duds! Think colorful or striped shirts and slacks. If you're Cindy, high pigtails are the key.
- How to act: Marcia is cool and confident, Jan is super jelly of Marcia, and Cindy is just getting into trouble somewhere.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Elsa and Anna From "Frozen"
- What to wear: Elsa needs a flowing blue/green gown and a long blond braided wig. Anna wears a simple embroidered dress with a shirt underneath.
- How to act: If you're Elsa, try not to touch anything around you — you might freeze it! Anna is sweet, and you should both break out in song whenever you feel the need.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Amanda Lemmon and Alyssa Callaway "From It Takes Two"
- What to wear: Go with the classic overalls and faded red shirt combo. If you want to separate yourselves from each other, Amanda's style is simple and dirty, while Alyssa wears pretty, feminine things.
- How to act: If you're Amanda, you're looking for a game of softball. If you're Alyssa, you simply cannot be bothered with those little people.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Amy and Kim Townsend From "Trainwreck"
- What to wear: For Amy, go with a red shirt and a high bun (you could also go literal with "trainwreck" and cover yourself in soot and dust). For Kim, a blue plaid shirt will do.
- How to act: Amy is self-explanatory, and Kim should be making sure she's OK all night.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Hallie Parker and Annie James From "The Parent Trap"
- What to wear: Either camp outfits for both of you, or a pretty dress for Annie and some khakis and a t-shirt for Hallie.
- How to act: If you're Annie, you're overly polite and slightly stuck up. If you're Hallie, you're all about having fun and playing pranks.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Hilda and Betty Suarez From "Ugly Betty"
- What to wear: For Betty, you need a very loud, colorful, busy outfit. Don't forget the thick bangs and glasses! Hilda wears formfitting, borderline scandalous clothing.
- How to act: If you're Betty, you're kind of a nerd. If you're Hilda, you're too cool for school.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Elizabeth and Jessica Wakefield From "Sweet Valley High"
- What to wear: They're twins, so either you go with identical outfits for effect or you take a page out of their book and dress differently. We recommend these getups: a tummy-baring halter and light-washed jeans for Elizabeth, and a two-piece pinstripe "suit" situation for Jessica.
- How to act: If you're Elizabeth, you're friendly and down to Earth. If you're Jessica, you're clever and flirtatious.
Sister Halloween Costumes: The Lisbon Sisters From "The Virgin Suicides"
- What to wear: Pale '70s clothing. Either nightgowns or gray skirts with white collared shirts and black vests.
- How to act: Lethargic, and, dare I say, suicidal.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Sally and Gillian Owens From "Practical Magic"
- What to wear: Jeans and a white top for Sally, a sexy black dress for Gillian.
- How to act: You're witches, so practice some magic.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Daria and Quinn From "Daria"
- What to wear: For Daria, you need combat boots, a black pleated skirt, a green jacket, and orange/burnt yellow shirt, and glasses. For Quinn, you need brown shoes, flared jeans, and a pink shirt with a happy face on it.
- How to act: Daria speaks in a monotone and is sarcastic, while Quinn is the literal opposite: high-pitched voice and pretty dumb.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Harley Quinn and Enchantress From "Suicide Squad"
- What to wear: For Harley Quinn, check out our step-by-step DIY for everything you need. For Enchantress, wear an olive-green crop top and skirt (or pants), and get a stringy black wig. Go heavy (and we mean heavy) on the eyeliner, and smear streaks of green and black eye shadow on your face and chest. Add her crescent moon headpiece and a chunky necklace and bangles to complete your look.
- How to act: Harley has a cutesy, deranged vibe going on (think: witty one-liners + a temper that flares on a dime), and Enchantress is an evil witch, so act accordingly.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Nancy and Barb From "Stranger Things"
- What to wear: For Nancy, get a long, brown wig, and pin it back on both sides of your head. Then, pair it with a cutesy striped sweater or button-down (buttoned all the way up, naturally), and a high-waisted skirt or jeans. If you go for a skirt, make sure you wear it with white tights and flats. Keep in mind Nancy's cool accessories, which include her homework, notebooks, and a bat. For Barb, mimic her short red hairstyle, then get a plaid shirt with as many ruffles as possible, high-waisted light-wash (mom) jeans, a thin watch, and some Sally Jessy Raphael glasses. Feel free to tote around a fake notebook or binder.
- How to act: By the end of season one, Nancy proves herself to be not only book smart, but street smart as well. Be the girl with the plan on Oct. 31. Barb is a little bit aloof and uncomfortable in social situations, and acts a bit like Nancy's mom throughout the show. Stay away from any pools, and refuse any and all offers of beer, especially if someone asks you to shotgun it.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Different Beyoncés in "Lemonade"
- What to wear: For bat-swinging Beyoncé, take a peek at our detailed DIY. For "Formation" Beyoncé, get a black wide-brimmed hat, tons of chunky silver necklaces and bangles, a black off-the-shoulder dress, and your hair in two long braids.
- How to act: Confidence is key for these costumes, so make sure it looks like you're always living your best life while dressed as Queen Bey.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Queen Freya and Ravenna From "The Huntsman: Winter's War"
- What to wear: For Freya, get a silver wig, as well as a long-sleeved silver dress and silver crown. Ravenna requires a blonde wig, a black dress, and a gold, feathered cape and crown.
- How to act: A little bit murderous, and very regal.
Sister Halloween Costumes: The Bennet Sisters From "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies"
- What to wear: If you combine a floor-length dress in neutral shades of white, brown, or green with a cardigan, a bonnet, and a fake machete, the result will be the ass-kicking Bennet sisters. Throw in smears of fake zombie blood, and then all you'll need to do is fight over who gets to be Elizabeth. . .
- How to act: Proper and reserved (aka British), but ready to lob heads off the undead at a moment's notice.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Arya and Sansa From "Game of Thrones"
- What to wear: Arya wears dirty burlap and leather clothing in Earth tones. For Sansa, you'll need a long, braided, red wig and a long blue dress.
- How to act: Arya is a badass, so go around telling people about your "list." Sansa has had some rough luck, so if you could muster up some tears, that would be great.
Sister Halloween Costumes: The Ghostbusters
- What to wear: A Ghostbusters suit is easy to come by in any costume store, but adding extra touches like the right hair, accessories, and personalities will make your costumes that much better.
- How to act: Not afraid of no ghosts.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Julien and Zoya From "Gossip Girl"
- What to wear: Ditch the luxury fashion of the "Gossip Girl" revival for these dressed-down looks from feuding sisters Julien and Zoya. All your need for Julien is a black hoodie and burgundy bomber jacket (and maybe a buzz cut if you're really committed). For Zoya, just grab an army green hooded jacket and a black graphic tee.
- How to act: Like you've been caught red-handed.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Kate and Edwina Sharma From "Bridgerton"
- What to wear: Time to pull out your finest regency wear. For Kate, you'll want to find a long sleeve teal satin gown with black accents. For Edwina, a dainty, lilac dress with short sleeves will do. Bonus points if you have an adorable pooch.
- How to act: Like royalty straight from the early 19th century.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Anne and Mary Boleyn From "The Other Boleyn Girl"
- What to wear: This is the 16th century, so you'll need some voluminous dresses with headpieces to match.
- How to act: Mary is young and innocent; Anne is ambitious and selfish.
Sister Halloween Costumes: DJ, Stephanie, and Michelle Tanner From "Full House"
- What to wear: Full '80s hair for DJ, along with a blouse and jeans. For Stephanie, go with a patterned dress and high scrunchie ponytail. For Michelle, you just need a pink dress and, yep, another scrunchie.
- How to act: Just be looking for Uncle Jesse everywhere.
Sister Halloween Costumes: The March Sisters From "Little Women"
- What to wear: You live in Massachusetts during and after the Civil War, and it's cold. Go with big, period dresses and bonnets.
- How to act: You'll need four people to be Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy. You're all dealing with various romantic dramas, and sadly, if you're Beth, you're dying.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Ramona and Beezus
- What to wear: For Beezus, a tan jacket, paint-splattered white shirt, and jeans. Ramona needs jeans, a t-shirt, and a teal sweater.
- How to act: Beezus is the sensible one, but it might be more fun to be trouble-magnet Ramona.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Evanora and Theodora From "Oz the Great and Powerful"
- What to wear: Evanora needs elaborate black dress, while Theodora needs a big red satin dress with a flat-brimmed hat.
- How to act: You're both pretty evil, so act wicked and ask anyone if they've seen Glinda around.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Mary, Laura, and Carrie Ingalls From "Little House on the Prairie"
- What to wear: The show takes place in the 1870s, so you'll need to go period with some heavy, skin-covering dresses.
- How to act: Do farm stuff and tell people to keep away from Nellie.
Sister Halloween Costumes: The Beauchamp Sisters From "Witches of East End"
- What to wear: These are modern witches, so contemporary dresses and jeans will do just fine.
- How to act: Like you're caught up in love triangles and spells gone wrong.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Hilary and Ashley Banks From "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air"
- What to wear: A purple skirt suit with a matching hat for Hilary and some jeans, a graphic shirt, and a smiliarly large hat for Ashley.
- How to act: Hilary isn't the brightest bulb, but Ashley is smart and full of quips.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Kat and Bianca Stratford From "10 Things I Hate About You"
- What to wear: Jeans and a camo shirt for Kat, a flowered blouse and sweater for Bianca. Complete the look with some butterfly clips.
- How to act: Kat is a badass, and Bianca is a goody two shoes.
Sister Halloween Costumes: The Bennett Sisters From "Pride & Prejudice"
- What to wear: These girls live in England in the 19th century, so while there is no particular dress to wear for each, you should plan to rent some big, old dresses.
- How to act: How good is your British accent? Just stick close to each other and chat about everyone around you.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Mary, Winifred, and Sarah Sanderson From "Hocus Pocus"
- What to wear: Those dresses have to be staples at Halloween store by now, right?
- How to act: Like you've been sleeping for a really long time and now you just want to have some fun. Also, is that the scent of children?
Sister Halloween Costumes: Piper, Phoebe, and Prue Halliwell From "Charmed"
- What to wear: Jeans and long-sleeved shirts are fine for these modern witches. Carry around a big book of spells, if you must.
- How to act: Like you're learning how to master magic. If you have a fourth, she can be Paige!
Sister Halloween Costumes: Katniss and Prim Everdeen From "The Hunger Games"
- What to wear: For Katniss, you need a brown jacket, brown pants, and a dark shirt; the long side-braid is key. For Prim, go with a tan skirt, a white blouse, and two braids.
- How to act: If you're Katniss, volunteer for everything. If you're Prim, ask people if they've seen Buttercup.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Maggie and Lisa Simpson From "The Simpsons"
- What to wear: For Maggie, you need a long blue nightie with a pacifier and a blue bow on your head. For Lisa, you just need an orange dress, orange shoes, and a pearl necklace.
- How to act: Maggie's a baby, so act like a baby. Lisa is the genius of the family, so go around citing facts and starting up chemistry experiments.
Sister Halloween Costumes: Haley and Alex Dunphy From "Modern Family"
- What to wear: Haley is glamorous, so wear your chicest outfit. Alex is a little more conservative, so jeans, a sweater, and glasses will do.
- How to act: Haley is s stereotypical teen, while Alex is "the smart one."
Sister Halloween Costumes: The Kardashian-Jenner Sisters
- What to wear: It depends on what era of Kim, Khloé, and Kourtney Kardashian and Kendall and Kylie Jenner's lives you want to be. If you want to portray their current incarnations, do tight-fitting clothes in bright colors for Kim; jeans for Khloé, in honor of Good American; and all black with a rock influence for Kourtney. For Kylie and Kendall, copy their Fashion Week outfits.
- How to act: Obviously there's a lot of arguing, but ultimately, these five sisters love each other deeply.