When I attended a cooking class with Chef Melissa King, I was treated to some pretty phenomenal appetizers — including the silkiest, smoothest hummus I've ever had! As it turns out, this was no ordinary hummus . . . in fact, there were no chickpeas to be found. The protein-packed base? Tofu.
By swapping tofu for chickpeas, you'll be maintaining protein while cutting down on calories (significantly), without compromising taste. And with tahini and Mediterranean spices, this spread still has the distinct hummus flavor, but with a much more delicate texture. Even if tofu isn't your favorite food, you'd never know that it was the star player in this recipe — it's that subtle! Served as a dip or spread across crostini and topped with veggies, this is going to be your new protein-packed party favorite.
This tofu hummus can be served as a dip with chips, crackers and veggies, or on crostinis topped with sliced veggies and herbs, as pictured.
- 1 packet organic tofu, drained well (medium or firm)
1/2 cup tahini
2 lemons, juiced
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. kosher salt
Fresh cracked black pepper
- Blend tofu, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper in a blender or food processor. If needed, add a splash of water to help the hummus blend into a thick, smooth paste.
- Slowly drizzle with olive oil while continuing to blend the hummus.
- Serve with additional extra virgin olive oil and dried oregano leaves.
- Appetizers, Crostini
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern
- Total Time
- 4 minutes, 59 seconds