Move 5: Up Down Plank
What it does: Strengthens the arms, shoulders, and core.
- Come into a plank position with your legs straight and forearms resting on your mat. Your feet should be hip-width distance apart. Draw your navel toward your spine to engage your core and to avoid straining your lower back.
- Keeping your torso parallel to the floor, plant your right palm on the mat as you raise your body, so your right arm is straight.
- Repeat with left arm, so you're now in a straight-arm plank.
- Now, move your right forearm back onto the mat and then the left, lowering yourself back down into elbow-plank position. Try to avoid swaying the torso from side to side.
- Repeat for a total of five to 10 reps, and then reverse the direction for another five to 10 reps.