60+ of the Best Pop Culture Halloween Costume Ideas For 2021, From Squid Game to Ted Lasso
This year is going by in a blink, but some of 2021's entertainment offerings and pop culture moments are definitely going to be sticking with us for the long haul. Thanks to new Marvel movies like Black Widow and Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, fresh seasons of our favorite TV shows (hello, Ted Lasso), and characters from new series we've fallen in love with, there are so many dress-up options for Halloween this year.
Keep scrolling to get costume inspiration from 2021's movie and TV characters, as well as some must-steal music video looks.
Ted Lasso, Coach Beard, and Nathan Shelley From Ted Lasso
- What to wear for Ted: A navy sweatsuit, a yellow whistle lanyard, a visor, aviator sunglasses, and his classic mustache.
- What to wear for Coach Beard: Like Ted, Coach Beard sports a navy sweatsuit and a yellow whistle lanyard, but you can also grab a hat, sports sunglasses, and a clipboard. If you can grow a beard, that's just a bonus!
- What to wear for Nate: Nate is the easiest of the three — just go with the sweatsuit and whistle, then channel Nate's sweet demeanor and newfound self-confidence.
The Guards From Squid Game
- What to wear for the guards: Similar to the contestants costume, you only need one key clothing item to dress as a guard. Opt for a red utility jumpsuit or a zip-up rain jacket and matching pants for your outfit. As for the mask, shops on Etsy are already starting to sell exact replicas, or you can just buy a fencing mask and draw a triangle, circle, or square on it with chalk.
The Contestants From Squid Game
- What to wear for the contestants: All you need to dress as a contestant is a green tracksuit with a number taped to the front. You can customize your number and choose to go as Gi-hun (456), Sang-woo (218), Sae-byeok (67), Il-nam (1), or any other player. For extra measure, you can add blood and dirt stains to your outfit.
Frank and Lily From Jungle Cruise
- What to wear for Frank: A button down, red neck scarf, suspenders, a sailor's hat, and khakis tucked into boots will give you all of the Frank vibes.
- What to wear for Lily: Lily channels a similar look to Frank that would make for a cute couples' look. Tuck a button down into khakis, pair with boots and a wide belt, and throw a brimmed hat atop your head.
Fabiola, Eleanor, and Devi From Never Have I Ever
- What to wear for Fabiola: Fabiola goes through a lot of fashion changes in season two of Never Have I Ever, but one of the most classic Fabiola looks has to be her robotics club uniform she sports at the school dance: a yellow short-sleeve button-up shirt and jeans are the way to go. Don't forget your Cricket Queen sash and crown!
- What to wear for Eleanor: A bright t-shirt tucked into a flower print skirt are what you need to channel Eleanor's vibe. Don't forget to accessorize with pearls!
- What to wear for Devi: Find a chunky knit sweater in a fun color and plaid pants to be Never Have I Ever's biggest star.
Loki and Mobius From Loki
- What to wear for Loki: A cozy khaki jumpsuit and a collar will help you to channel Loki's look as a prisoner of the TVA. Don't forget to slick back your hair! (Dying it jet black will only help sell the look, just sayin'.)
- What to wear for Mobius: A suit, skinny tie, statement belt, and a mustache is truly all you need for Owen Wilson's straight-laced character.
Raya and Sisu From Raya and the Last Dragon
- What to wear for Raya: A yellow top tucked into olive green pants tucked into boots is an easy way to steal Raya's style. Add a red cloak, and you're golden!
- What to wear for Sisu: Whether you take Sisu's human or dragon form, a purple wig is a must! You can dress in all blues and purples to channel her dragon form, or grab a long blue coat with cropped pants for her human look.
Masha From Nine Perfect Strangers
- What to wear for Masha: An all white linen set, long beaded necklace, and a long blond wig are all you really need to channel Masha. Add a smoothie for fun! *winks*
Shang-Chi From Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
- What to wear for Shang-Chi: You could achieve Shang-Chi's look with a red and black jacket or zip-up, black pants, and black shoes. Or, you could channel his more casual look with jeans, a hoodie, and a varsity-style jacket.
Kevin and Allison From Kevin Can F*ck Himself
- What to wear for Allison: Allison wears a lot of jeans and boots paired with brightly colored chunky sweaters and puffer coats, but you could also don her olive green utility jacket.
- What to wear for Kevin: Kevin is most easily recognized in his blue work jumpsuit complete with "Kelvin" name tag. Don't forget to spike up your hair and act like you're the center of the universe!
Professor Ji-Yoon Kim From The Chair
- What to wear for Ji-Yoon: Throw a chunky sweater on top of a collared shirt — or pair the blouse with a blazer or duffle coat — a pair of glasses, and trousers.
Tully From Firefly Lane
- What to wear for Tully: Tully wears a lot of bold print dresses, skirts, and blouses with statement earrings.
Charles and Marie-Andrée (Monique) From The Serpent
- What to wear for Charles: One of Charles's defining features is his vintage fashion glasses. Pair those with a button down (first few buttons undone, of course) and a suit.
- What to wear for Monique: To get Monique's look pair high-waited jeans or trousers, a wide belt, and a multicolored blouse with aviator sunglasses and gold drop-hoop earrings.
Kate From Firefly Lane
- What to wear for Kate: Grab an oversized pair of clear glasses, a button down shirt or blouse, and jeans or trousers.
Charlotte, Carrie, and Miranda From Just Like That . . .
- What to wear for Charlotte: In the Sex and the City reboot, Charlotte's vibe is an update on her coquettish, retro-leaning style from the series in a fitted pencil skirt and an off-the-shoulder blouse. To copy this style, dress in head-to-toe black with a skirt, a blouse, heels, and a bag.
- What to wear for Carrie: Not much appears to have changed about Carrie's style, and we love it! To copy it, wear a high-waisted gingham skirt with a white top and a long off-white cardigan.
- What to wear for Miranda: Miranda's look feels business chic, with a soft button-down and slouchy trousers. Copy the look for Halloween and beyond.
Mabel Mora From Only Murders in the Building
- What to wear for Mabel: The trailer of Hulu's Only Murders in the Building series showcases Selena Gomez's character, Mabel, in this '70s-inspired outfit — and we're obsessed! To achieve Mabel's mood-boosting style, try out plaid trousers, a mustard sweater, and a very cute, cropped, furry coat. Oh, and don't forget to accessorize with Mabel's matching knit beanie, round sunglasses, gold hoop earrings, and brown combat boots.
Kate and Jeanette From Cruel Summer
- What to wear for Kate: Embodied as the "perfect teen," Kate's layered tank and floral dress are such a staple. Add a woven bracelet on your wrist, and you'll feel '90s chic in no time.
- What to wear for Jeanette: Falling into popularity after the death of Kate, Jeanette's style is '90s iconic. Try out a choker, a yellow cardigan, and a pair of ripped baggy jeans to achieve Jeanette's high school style.
Harper and Carly From iCarly
- What to wear for Harper: As an aspiring fashion stylist, Harper is always dressing to the nines. From fun prints to her iconic blue fur-collar jacket and pants from episode seven, you can expect Harper to rock anything bold and colorful (which makes Harper's style easy to recreate!).
- What to wear for Carly: Similar to Carly's original style, the iCarly star still adores prints. Pick up a fun printed top and wear it with jeans for a colorful yet casual style; heck, maybe even layer it with a cardigan.
Mare From Mare of Easttown
- What to wear for Mare: As a small-town detective, Mare is dressed to blend in with the crowd and not be noticed. To re-create Mare's casual fashion, throw on some baggy jeans, a flannel, and an oversize brown coat. The "effortless" look will you have detective-ready in no time.
Ava and Deborah From Hacks
- What to wear for Ava: As a 25-year-old comedy writer who's on a mission to help Deb's stand-up stay fresh, Ava keeps it casual in Doc Martins, baggy jeans, tucked T-shirts, and minimal jewelry. Ava loves a good everyday style.
- What to wear for Deborah: As a legendary Las Vegas comedy diva who's trying to appeal to a younger audience, Deb likes to dress in lots of blazers, long jackets, and bold jewelry. When on stage, you can find the comedian extra dressed up — think shiny gold suits, bold blazers, and feathers. Any eye-grabbing piece can work for this character!
Anna and Maya From PEN15
- What to wear for Anna: A casual tee (preferably a short-sleeved cotton graphic or striped shirt), jeans, a backpack, and braces will take you back to junior high in no time. Wear your hair down, and braid a couple of pieces in the front.
- What to wear for Maya: There's nothing more iconic than Maya's hairstyle, so be sure to get that down. Once you have a bowl cut going, carry around a pink backpack and wear a striped shirt with a zip-up jacket over it.
Black Widow and Yelena From Black Widow
- What to wear for Black Widow: Because who doesn't want to be a badass woman Avenger, am I right? To transform into Black Widow, an all-white suit complete with fighting gear will do the trick. Don't forget about Black Widow's iconic red hair, either.
- What to wear for Yelena: Yelena and Black Widow essentially have the same suits, except Yelena's outfit is more army-like, with a green vest and black gloves.
Usnavi and Vanessa From In the Heights
- What to wear for Usnavi: Usnavi keeps it casual. To channel this character, wear brown boots, jeans, and a gray T-shirt.
- What to wear for Vanessa: Channel Vanessa by wearing a blue-and-red crop top, jean shorts, and white sneakers.
Benny and Nina From In the Heights
- What to wear for Benny: Benny can be often seen in a button-down T-shirt, jeans, and sneakers.
- What to wear for Nina: Copy Nina's look by wearing a brown tank top, jeans, and sneakers.
Giulia, Luca, and Alberto From Luca
- What to wear for Giulia: Giulia is independent and free-spirited, and her outfit showcases that. To become Giulia, pick up a blue beanie, a striped T-shirt, baggy jeans, and brown sandals.
- What to wear for Luca: Luca, a sea monster, ventures to land to have the summer of his life in a seaside town on the Italian Rivera. Luca's signature human look, however, is easy to copy — a flannel button-down and blue shorts!
- What to wear for Alberto: Fellow sea monster Alberto wears a yellow tank top with brown shorts as he walks around the mainland in his human body.
Cruella de Vil From Cruella
- What to wear for Cruella: Emma Stone makes a lot of outfit changes as Cruella, but one of her most unforgettable looks is the flame-red dress. The unique neckline, gloves, and mermaid tail are iconic. Copy her look by picking up a blood-red gown for yourself, complete with gloves and a black-and-white wig. A black eye mask will also add some drama.
Lydia and Emily From Thunderforce
- What to wear for Lydia: When two best friends acquire superpowers, they apparently both get latex suits? To become Lydia, try to wear a shiny, head-to-toe blue latex suit (or something that looks similar!).
- What to wear for Emily: While Lydia and Emily practically wear the same thing, Emily's latex suit is black.
Marie and Malcolm From Malcolm & Marie
- What to wear for Marie: Dressed in a tight-fitting pewter gown with cutouts and a thigh-high slit, Marie wears some sexy looks — are you ready to bring the heat?
- What to wear for Malcolm: Malcolm's wardrobe appears to be a post-night-on-the-town style, wearing a white collared shirt, slacks, and a loosened tie.
Simon and Daphne From Bridgerton
- What to wear for Simon: Simon's style isn't like those of his superiors. It's bold, enchanting, and eventually colorful (did you notice the more he gets to know Daphne, the more colorful his outfits become?). To embody Simon, try out a black waistcoat and a paisley undershirt, and don't forget a green brooch!
- What to wear for Daphne: For Daphne, a pale-blue dress, elbow-length gloves, and a simple necklace are enough to represent the Bridgerton family's eldest daughter.
Olivia Rodrigo in the Sour Album Cover
- What to wear for Olivia: The singer of "Good 4 U" and "Deja Vu" gave us one of the greatest albums of the year, and for that, we must celebrate. Dress as Olivia Rodrigo's Sour album cover by wearing plaid trousers, a furry pink crop top, and stickers all over your face.
Zola and Stefani From Zola
- What to wear for Zola: There are a lot of wild looks to choose from in Zola, but we think this lime-green snakeskin tube top and pants would do quite nicely.
- What to wear for Stefani: Go same same but different with your BFF in a matching sequined tube top and pants set.
Vision and Wanda From WandaVision
- What to wear for Vision: While WandaVision flashes through multiple decades, Vision's iconic superhero look remains the same. To achieve Vision, paint your face red and silver. Then, pick your decade for the outfit! Vision from the '50s is always a good one.
- What to wear for Wanda: Wanda's style transforms drastically throughout the decades, but her '50s and '70s fashion moments are some of our personal favorites. The most important characteristic of Wanda's look is her red hair, and if you want to look extra superhero, go for her present-day look!
Patrizia Reggiani and Maurizio Gucci From House of Gucci
- What to wear for Patrizia: To channel this real-life power couple played by Adam Driver and Lady Gaga, you'll need '80s-glam ski outfits. For Patrizia, think black turtleneck, faux-fur hat, and lots of chunky gold accessories and jewelry.
- What to wear for Maurizio: A chunky cable-knit turtleneck sweater paired with white ski pants should do the trick here. Oh, and some oversize '80s glasses.
Saweetie and Doja Cat in the "Best Friend" Music Video
- What to wear for Saweetie: To channel this "Best Friend" music video look (and there are a few great ones to choose from; we're also partial to the poolside looks), head to the thrift store (or your closet) and find a green tweed top and skirt to match. Add fancy crop top underneath, a chunky necklace, and hoop earrings to complete the style.
- What to wear for Doja Cat: Dressed in pink, Doja Cat wears matching tweed shorts and a top with a gold chain belt. Copy this look by getting yourself a matching pink cropped set!
Cassie From Promising Young Woman
- What to wear for Cassie: Cassie's look in the final scene of Promising Young Woman is the perfect costume for Halloween. Wear a nurse's outfit with a colorful wig, and don't forget to look like you're up to no good.
Star and Barb From Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar
- What to wear for Star: Star's vacation style is a Midwesterner's dream, wearing white culottes, a white tank top, a colorful blouse, and a lei.
- What to wear for Barb: Similar to Star, Barb's vacay style involves culottes, a patterned blouse, and a lei — except she's a bit more colorful in pink. Head to Kohl's, JCPenney, Old Navy, Chico's, or Sears to grab these styles — that's where designer Trayce Gigi Field got most of Star and Barb's clothes from!
Monica Lewinsky From Impeachment: American Crime Story
- What to wear for Monica: To channel her style, wear a black beret, a black coat, a blue scarf, gold jewelry, and top it off with some red lipstick.
Peter and Lara From To All the Boys: Always and Forever
- What to wear for Peter: Peter's personality lies in his confidence more than his style. To dress as Peter in To All the Boys: Always and Forever, a simple pair of jeans, a T-shirt, and a sweatshirt will do.
- What to wear for Lara: Lara knows how to stand out when it comes to fashion; heck, even Peter notices how stylish she is. To achieve Lara's everyday style, think preppy meets the '90s — a collared button-up, a pair of khaki pants or a skirt, and platform shoes accompanied by a cute backpack. Oh, and make sure your pants have a back pocket for Peter to slip his hand into!
Joe From You
- What to wear for Joe: Being a creepy stalker doesn't mean you have to look like one. Joe's style is totally collected and cool, consisting of basic tees under button-ups, jeans, and backpacks. Feel free to throw on a baseball cap if you're trying to hide in plain sight.
Queen Charlotte From Bridgerton
- What to wear for Queen Charlotte: Queen Charlotte is one of the Bridgerton characters who best embodies 18th-century extravagance with her gowns and jewelry. Above all, the queen really goes above and beyond with her statement-making wigs. To embody Queen Charlotte, wear a low-neck gown and pair it with a wig that has a unique color, shape, or design.
Julien, Monet, and Luna From Gossip Girl
- What to wear for Julien: Preppy and edgy, Julien is quite the fashion icon. Wearing oversize clothing items like large jackets and dress shirts, plus lots of chunky sneakers, Julien's style is relatively easy to replicate.
- What to wear for Monet: Being the school villain, Monet's traditional and preppy style would make you think she's sweet. Bows, blazers, turtlenecks, and strappy shoes embody her sweet but salty style.
- What to wear for Luna: Feminine and glamorous, Luna loves a good sweater, skirt, and boots look. Top it off with a brown jacket, and you'll feel like an Upper East Sider in no time.
LeBron James in Space Jam: A New Legacy
- What to wear for LeBron: LeBron James plays himself in the new Space Jam sequel, and as a part of the Tune Squad, he has to dress the part! Channel Space Jam LeBron with a blue basketball outfit topped with a Tune Squad label.
Chloe x Halle in the "Ungodly Hour" Music Video
- What to wear for Chloe and Halle: To pull off this steamy look from Chloe x Halle's "Ungodly Hour" music video, find a bodysuit decorated in rhinestones. A high bun will also take it to the next level.
Olivia Rodrigo In the "Brutal" Music Video
- What to wear for Olivia: Olivia Rodrigo debuted all sorts of cool looks in her "Brutal" music video, but this punk-rock one with a red beret, braids, a graphic tank top, and a plaid, black-laced skirt took the cake for us. Not to mention, her shimmery makeup tears are so cool. Add a choker to complete the look!
Jughead From Riverdale
- What to wear for Jughead: Just wear a dark button-down shirt that's not buttoned up all the way, a dark jacket with faux fur, jeans, black boots, and a gray beanie. Don't forget the messenger bag!
Chani From Dune
- What to wear for Chani: Mysterious and alluring, it's no wonder Chani is the love interest in this movie. Wear brown clothing with a brown shawl over your hair, and secure a piece of string or cord to one side of your face that extends into your nose. Let the battle begin.
Archie From Riverdale
- What to wear for Archie: A blue long-sleeve shirt, jeans, Converse, and a red wig will turn you into Archie. Feel free to add a letterman jacket or cardigan and a guitar.
Toni From Riverdale
- What to wear for Toni: A large black beanie, a casual shirt, and dark jeans are all you need to pull off this look. Dye some strands in your hair light pink, and finish off the look with a layered necklace.
Cheryl From Riverdale
- What to wear for Cheryl: You'll need a black hoodie with a pronounced hood and a spider necklace. Finish it off with a long red wig and dark red lipstick.
Betty From Riverdale
- What to wear for Betty: Got a high beige turtleneck? Good. Wear that under a green bomber jacket and complete your look with a green plaid skirt. Pull your hair tightly back, and you're ready to roll.
Alex From Roswell, New Mexico
- What to wear for Alex: Alex's style is cool and laid-back, so be sure to wear something similar. Pair a stylish, patterned button-down shirt with black pants.
Max From Roswell, New Mexico
- What to wear for Max: Giddy-up, partner! If you want to look like the toughest sheriff in all the land, get a khaki sheriff's outfit, a star badge, and a cowboy hat.
Veronica From Riverdale
- What to wear for Veronica: Make a "Team Varchie" shirt by grabbing a white baseball tee with yellow sleeves and drawing the words "Team Varchie" on the middle of it. Put on a small pearl necklace and pair your look with casual shorts or joggers.
Liz From Roswell, New Mexico
- What to wear for Liz: If you have a brown faux leather jacket, you're more than halfway to becoming Liz. Pair it with black jeans and silver hoops, and lightly curl your hair.
Paul Atreides From Dune
- What to wear for Paul: Timothée Chalamet's character in the Dune remake is brave and bold, and his clothing reflects that. To pull off this costume, you'll need to wear layers of brown clothes complete with a thick piece of string or cord that extends from your hair to your nose. Complete the look with brown gloves, a backpack, and a whole lot of courage.
Sutton, Jane, and Kat From The Bold Type
- What to wear for Sutton: Sutton goes for more casual and trendy clothes, and this look is just that. Throw on an olive green jumpsuit, and pair it with a black belt. Pull your hair into a pony, and cheers to your cute 'fit!
- What to wear for Jane: Jane keeps it classic even when she's out drinking. To rock one of her preppy looks, simply wear a black-and-white long-sleeve top with a nice pair of jeans. Pull your hair back into a bun, and add a touch of subtle pink lipstick.
- What to wear for Kat: Kat is all about bold prints, bright colors, and eye-catching outfits. Wear hot pink joggers or shorts, a pineapple-print shirt, and a cheeky pink visor for this eclectic and cool look.
John B From Outer Banks
- What to wear for John B: Channel John B by wearing a colorful shirt that's pretty much all the way unbuttoned. Pair it with casual shorts and flip flops, and don't forget the black eye!
Hope From Legacies
- What to wear for Hope: Channel your Little Red Riding Hood vibes when you opt for this look from Legacies. Wear an enchanting red cape, pop the hood, and add a little red belt to spice things up.
Lucifer From Lucifer
- What to wear for Lucifer: Trust us, if you can look as good as Lucifer this Halloween, all hell will break loose. Wear a crisp charcoal suit with a lavender button-up underneath, and complete the look with nice dress shoes and a devilish smile.
Michael From Roswell, New Mexico
- What to wear for Michael: Copy Michael by wearing a white or light gray tank underneath a plaid shirt. Finish off the look with ruffled curls and dark wash jeans.
Victor From Love, Victor
- What to wear: Victor always looks put-together in his casual and conservative looks, and this is a perfect example. Wear a plaid button-down shirt with a black tee underneath and some black jeans.
Kiara From Outer Banks
- What to wear for Kiara: If you want to be as cool as Kiara this Halloween, simply wear a purple tie-dye shirt with cutoff jean shorts and bright jewelry. Complete you costume with an olive green backpack and sneakers.
Sarah From Outer Banks
- What to wear for Sarah: Sarah always opts for a cute and casual look, as seen in this 'fit. To pull off her chill style, wear a little yellow tube top with white jeans and flip-flops.