9 Major Reasons to Love Meghan Markle (If You Don't Already)
Meghan Markle got her first taste of the spotlight as a Hollywood actress, but it wasn't until she began dating Prince Harry that she truly captured my attention. Given my longtime crush on Harry, I was admittedly a little taken back when I first found out about their romance and had a lot of questions, like, "Who is this woman? And what are her intentions with Harry?" However, it quickly became clear why he fell for her. Aside from her undeniable beauty, Meghan has a passion for helping others and she believes in fighting for what's right, just like Harry! She also has a way with kids, and don't even get me started on her bond with her mom, Doria Ragland — they're so cute! Yep, I really can't think of a better match for Harry! Allow me and my fellow POPSUGAR editors to count all the ways we love Meghan.
"She's not afraid to be herself and stay true to what makes her who she is."
- "I love that Meghan does things her own way. She's gracious, compassionate, and has her own way of fitting into and bringing positivity to the royal family. She also made a lot of people fall in love with their freckles again, and who doesn't love her for that?" — Tori Crowther, UK assistant editor
- "She's not afraid to be herself and stay true to what makes her who she is. I can't imagine how hard it must be to stay so composed and graceful with everything that goes on around her and in the press, but she manages to do it all with such a presence!" — Amanda McKelvey, social media strategist
- "I just love how big Meghan's heart is. Even before she was a royal, Meghan always had a passion for philanthropy. Whether she was fighting for gender equality or simply encouraging others to adopt pets instead of buying them, Meghan has always led by example and wanted to make the world a better place. I wish there were more people like her out there." — Monica Sisavat, associate editor, Celebrity and Entertainment
"She's elegant and eloquent, carries herself well, and always seems at ease."
- "I love how effortless she makes public speaking look. She is so elegant and well-spoken and always seems to know exactly how to answer questions, even the curveballs. I've even looked up years-old interviews and it was true then. She makes me want to be a more articulate speaker!" — Erin Cullum, editor, Trending and Viral Features
- "The more I've watched Meghan behind a podium or on stage with mic in hand, the more I realize how much I want to be someone who can speak slowly, make eye contact, and articulate succinctly in my own public speaking endeavors. With each new speech, I take note of her diction (she enunciates so clearly!), her body language (always standing or sitting up straight, with shoulders back), and her mannerisms (like me, Meghan talks with her hands, which I love)." — Britt Stephens, director, Celebrity and Entertainment
- "The one thing that continues to strike me about Meghan is how poised she is. She's elegant and eloquent, carries herself well, and always seems at ease, even in such a scrutinized position. I love watching videos of her speak, whether it's an old interview from her acting days or a recent royal engagement — she's mesmerizing!" — Stephanie Nguyen, native editor, Style
"Meghan is a rule-breaker when it comes to fashion."
- "I personally love the fact that Meghan is a rule-breaker when it comes to fashion. Just because she married into the royal family doesn't mean that she's going to stop being herself. In fact, this is the very reason why she's even more relatable to me." — Nikita Ramsinghani, associate editor, Fashion
- "I love Meghan because she reps brands she believes in and promotes lesser-known companies that better the world. Her decision to wear sustainable brand Outland Denim continuously throughout her tour is the perfect example. Not only that, she supports her friends, too. Meghan's had a longstanding relationship with Misha Nonoo, so seeing her wear the label's blouses at the start of her royal career was a nice reminder, and her promotion of Serena Williams's Collection falls right in line." — Sarah Wasilak, editor, Fashion
- "One of my biggest guilty pleasures over the years has been keeping tabs on and obsessing over the wardrobes of the royal family, so obviously, I've been on the edge of my seat every time she steps out. While Kate Middleton consistently keeps things classic and chic, I've been living for all the sartorial surprises that Meghan serves up, from a striped button-down and jeans to a dreamy ballgown that is straight out of the pages of Harry Potter. I mean, at one point, she almost had me buying a white fedora to mimic her look (don't worry — I love her but I'm not THAT delusional)." — Quinn Keaney, editor, Entertainment
"She was always a terrific actress on the show."
- "I have been watching Suits since the first season aired and she was always a terrific actress on the show. When news broke that she was dating Prince Harry, I definitely thought she would immediately leave the show, but to my surprise, she stayed on and ensured her character had a nice and clean exit. It was really cool to see the whole Suits cast get invited to the wedding and it shows how real their friendship is." — Zara Patel, editorial intern
- "In March 2015, I sent an email to my husband that said, 'Rachel from Suits has a website and it's beautiful, just like her.' So, I guess I was always a bit of a fan. When I learned a couple years later that Prince Harry was dating her, my first thought was, 'Nice work, Harry!' Even back then, Meghan's passion for good causes, beautiful things, and other people was evident, and even though it clearly hasn't been an easy ride for her to adapt to the restrictions of being a royal, she's done an admirable job." — Gemma Cartwright, UK senior editor
- "I'll be honest: I didn't watch Suits. However, I have watched Meghan's 2016 Hallmark Channel movie Dater's Handbook a mortifying amount of times, and really love watching her onscreen (especially as a hapless single woman, because LOL)." — BS
"Meghan is shaking up the British monarchy and making herself seen."
- "Being a royal is a job, and Meghan seems to work harder at it than most. Everything she does has so much thought behind it, and it makes my job (to write about her on a daily basis) so much easier! I love that she takes small calculated risks with her image (bare legs, black outfits, messy buns, and bare shoulder!), but also understands the traditions and rules that come with being part of one of the most famous families on the planet. The younger royals aren't dragging the family into the 21st century kicking and screaming, but they are gently nudging them in the right direction, and Meghan is a huge part of that. Long may she reign!" — GC
- "I love that Meghan is shaking up the British monarchy and making herself seen, even though it may make others bristle. She hasn't given up on her old life or friends completely, and she just seems really unapologetic about who she is and what she plans to bring to the table. I can't wait to see what she does next!" — BS
"She isn't focused on following royal protocol when it comes to meeting children."
- "When Meghan became a part of the family, many people didn't think she could handle the pressure of being a royal, but boy, did she prove them wrong. Not only is she a pro when it comes to public engagements, but kids certainly love her, and it's easy to see why. She isn't focused on following royal protocol when it comes to meeting children; instead, Meghan seems to be more interested in making a genuine connection and it's clear that she just really love kids. I have no doubt that she's going to be a great mom!" — MS
- "I love seeing kids — especially little girls — freak out when they see Meghan. The look on their faces is just priceless, and I can only imagine I'd have a similar reaction if she offered me a hug. Like Harry, Meghan doesn't hesitate to literally get down on someone's level to speak to them or shake their hand. She writes heartfelt messages on pieces of fruit. She'll also cuddle a dog if you have one! I'm looking forward to many, many more of these delightful moments." — BS
"Meghan seems to bring out this whole new side of Harry."
- "I have a huge crush on Harry, and even though my heart broke when I first heard the news that Harry was dating Meghan, the more I learned about her, the more I actually began to like her (I may even like her more than Harry now!). Aside from the fact that she's gorgeous, Meghan seems to bring out this whole new side of Harry and he's even smiling a lot more. Not to be cheesy or anything, but Meghan and Harry have made me believe that true love does exist and I've thoroughly enjoyed watching — and writing about — their journey together. I'm excited to watch them embark on this new chapter in their lives once baby Sussex arrives." — MS
- "People talk a lot about how 'blessed' Meghan is to have landed a prince, but let's be real: Harry is the one who lucked out here, and he knows it! Meghan's brains, beauty, and commitment to making the world a better place make her a perfect fit for Harry, and they seem like they truly enjoy each other's company and are a great team. Also, the way he looks at her? It's too much." — BS
"It's funny to imagine that we might have been at the same theater parties."
- "I love Meghan because she went to my alma mater, Northwestern University. It's a chill school full of driven, smart students. While we never met when she was there, we did overlap, and it's funny to imagine that we might have been at the same theater parties; though she was probably too cool to hang out with me." — Nancy Einhart, senior vice president and executive editor
- "Meghan is only the second woman with a college degree to marry into the royal family, after Kate Middleton. This is hugely impressive and a real sign of the times. I also admire how dedicated Meghan is to fighting for education equality and making sure that young women and girls around the world have access to the same education that boys do. She is fully aware of her role, and I think she can do so much good with the huge platform she has." — BS
"Meghan is booked, busy, and unbothered. And why shouldn't she be?"
- "I love Meghan because she carries herself so well! She's always so poised, and she genuinely seems like such a sweet and caring soul. She just has a natural glow about her that I really admire and respect." — Brea Cubit, editorial assistant, Celebrity and Entertainment
- "It inspires me how strong and composed Meghan is. Between being accepted into the royal family to dealing with her own family in the press, she's done it all with such strength and grace." — AM
- "I'm continually impressed by how calm and unflappable she seems in the face of such public backlash. Whether she's called "difficult" by stuffy palace staff, getting criticized for holding her own stomach, or being dragged in the press by her own family members, Meghan is booked, busy, and unbothered. And why shouldn't she be? Prince Charles doesn't call her 'Tungsten' for nothing." — BS
- "Meghan puts up with so much nonsense from the British press as an American woman of color in the royal family, but has always maintained her cool and continues to be a lovely person. She is so elegant and thoughtful and makes a great role model for women everywhere." — ZP