Total-Body Tabata — Get Ready to Torch and Tone
Nothing beats Tabata workouts for maximizing the benefits of a workout. This interval training helps burn calories and build muscle in 20 minutes. For the four-minute Tabata round, we mix two complementary exercises, so you can go strong and maintain good form for all your reps.
Here's the workout and directions. Keep scrolling for explanations on the moves.
Tabata One: Lateral High-Knee Run and Hold
- Start at one edge of your mat and run from side to side on your bringing your knees hight to waist level. Engage your abs as the knee comes up.
- Make as many steps to the side as you can before switching sides.
- Pump your arms to work your upper body.
Tabata One: Ali Shuffle
- Keeping your weight on the balls of your feet, scissors your legs front and back.
- This is quick footwork and it should be light. Pump your arms to keep the speed of the feet up tempo.
Tabata Two: Burpee
- Jump up as high as you can, and land softly lowering into a crouching squat with your hands on the floor.
- Jump your feet backward coming into a plank position.
- Jump the feet forward to the hands, coming into a deep squat, and prepare to jump. Continue in this pattern.
Tabata Two: Chaturanga Push-Up
- Start in a plank position with your hands directly under your shoulders.
- Push forward with your toes keeping your arms parallel and hugging your torso, bend your elbows to 90 degrees. Your upper arm should be parallel to the floor with your elbows over your wrists.
- Engage your abs to keep your torso stable as you straighten your elbows to push yourself up, returning to the plank.
Tabata Three: Alternating Side Lunge
- Start with your feet directly under your hips. Step your right foot wide to the side coming into a lunge.Your right knee shouldn't go beyond your right toes. Keep your chest lifted and your weight in your heels.
- Push into your right foot to return to standing, then lunge sideways to the left.
- Start on all fours, then lift your knees to hover over the floor.
- Lift your left hand and your right foot off the floor then, then pivot on your left foot to the left kicking your right leg through bringing your left arm to your chest.
- Swing your pelvis back and place your left hand on the floor and your right toes, returning to the hover position. Reverse directions kicking the left leg to the opposite side.
Cooldown: Trunk Twist
Reps: 20, alternating sides
- Lying on your back, extend your arms out to your side, to create an anchor. Lift your legs so your hips and knees are at 90 degree angles.
- Starting the movement from your core, rotate your knees to the left, hovering just off the floor. Hold for this position for three seconds. This completes one rep. Then, initiating the movement with your abs, slowly rotate your knees to the right.
Cooldowns: Straight-Leg Roll-Up
- Lift your head and arms off the floor and begin to roll up to sitting, focusing on the abs rounding the back and keeping the motion smooth.
- Roll back down to the mat slowly, one vertebra at a time. Ending by reaching your arms overhead to complete one rep.
Cooldown: Pilates Swimming
Reps: 20, alternating sides
- Continue alternating sides in a slow controlled manner, keeping your torso stable.
Keeping your knees straight, lift your right leg and left arm higher, toward the ceiling. As you lower your right leg and left arm, lift your left leg and right arm up to complete one rep.