Tips For a Happy, Healthy Weekend
15 Simple To-Dos For a Happy and Energized Weekend
If you're heading into the weekend feeling dead from your strenuous work or school week, then listen up! It's time to shake off the stress from your M-F schedule so you can celebrate health and embrace happiness. There are so many supersimple, positive tricks you can add into your routine; here are some great ways to be good to yourself and your body — and you'll reap the benefits of a serious mood boost, too.
- Go outside. And stay outside! It's good for your eyes, prevents myopia (especially after staring at a screen all day), and will give you a healthy dose of vitamin D. Try an outdoor adventure like a hike, workout in the park, bike ride, or water sport.
- Book a class! If you pay in advance, you'll be more likely to stick to it. Or, save some money and try a free one at a local fitness store or in your neighborhood.
- Drink more water. Find a water bottle you love and keep it full all weekend long. Doing so causes a boost in metabolism, and helps with weight-loss goals, improved energy, and glowing skin.
- Disconnect. Turn off your phone and computer when you can. It will help you relieve stress; we all know that stress = cortisol, a stress-induced hormone that slows the metabolism and increases fat retention.
- Eat right! You can also try one of these recipes to reduce anxiety, and get better sleep over the weekend.
- Get zzz's. Speaking of which, catch up on sleep while you can! It aids in weight loss, energy levels, mood, and overall health.
- Diffuse and unwind with soothing essential oils like lavender and eucalyptus.
- Move a little more. Try a low-key LISS workout to keep your body moving.
- Make some tea. A cup of green tea (or maybe a matcha latte with vanilla bean!) has ample amounts of magnesium, B vitamins, and L-theanine — the anti-stress trifecta!
- Get organized. Use your downtime to prep healthy meals for the rest of the week, clean up clutter, and eliminate any stressors.
- Try a new workout. Science shows that new exercises aren't just great for your body, but that they're good for your brain, too!
- Meditate often. Set aside time to meditate and clear your mind from your hectic week.
- Set a new goal, and start planning it! Have you been thinking about a half marathon? Maybe a backpacking trip? Pick a date, an event, and a training plan and get started.
- Listen to happy music (like this playlist) and go for a run. Music is known to reduce stress!
- Stretch your way to happy. Do some happiness yoga!